Can I change my University/ College after coming to India?

You need to mention the name of the Institute while applying for the visa, which is then mentioned on the visa. A request for change of university or institution subsequently made cannot be considered. In this case you would be required to go back to your home country and apply for a new visa.

Can I get my tourist visa converted to a student visa?

"Change of purpose" of visit of international students to India is not allowed once they arrive in India. Therefore, if you come to India on tourist or any other type of visa, you cannot get this visa changed to student visa. According to government regulations, if an international student coming to India on a tourist or any other type of visa (except a student visa ), obtains admission into a university or any institution in India, the student will be required to return to his country and obtain a new visa (i.e. a student visa) from the Indian mission there. To avoid this situation, all self- financing international students are advised to obtain regular or provisional student visa from Indian missions abroad by producing confirmed or provisional letters of admission from a university or an institution.

Is any approval/NOC required from any other Ministry or Department for technical courses?

So far as admission to diploma/degree/post-graduate degree in engineering and Technology, Architecture & Town Planning, Pharmacy, Applied Arts, MBA, MCA, Hotel Management & Catering Technology are concerned, there is no requirement of NOC from MHRD. However, with respect to courses in medical or Para-military courses, NOC from M/o Health will be required.

What a foreign student should do for extension of his/her Student Visa?

He/she should approach the local FRRO/FRO with authentic certificate, proof of adequate financial standing etc.

How many entries are allowed to foreign students?

Normally one entry, however, on veritable reasons, a foreign student can apply for additional entries at:
Visa Facilitation Centre, Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs, Jaisalmer House, 26, Mansingh Road, New Delhi - 110003.

When a foreign student travels abroad on a return visa & he/she re-enters India after expiry of 90 days from the date of departure from India, will he/she be given entry?

Return VISA given to students is valid for re-entry to India within a period of 90 days only. In such case a foreigner should obtain a fresh student visa from Indian Mission abroad to enter into India and then can take regular extension on the basis of fresh authentic certificate from college/university.

Can a registered student, who has completed his graduation, get extension for Post Graduate courses by FRRO/FRO?

Yes, a registered student, who has completed graduation, can apply for extension to carry out a post graduate course from concerned FRRO/FRO cum Superintendent of Police provided he produces an authentic certificate from his institution.

If a foreign student who has come on a student visa joins a new course will fresh visa fee be charged from him?

Yes, on permission of undertaking a new course, a fresh course fee is charged.

© 2016 Admission desk. All rights reserved
Follow us
Scroll to top